 Marketplace / Theory / 709
Re: Slim pickings everwhere
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:47:07 GMT

From a profitable sales prospective, the idea of moving product from store to
store would seem to work.  And if used, would definitely increase the revenue
of each participating outlet.

From a paperwork or tracking prospecive, it could become as messy as TRU's
so-called inventory system.  Moving numbers around on paper is pretty easy with
electric telecommunications to speed things up and for easy verification, so it
would seem not too difficult to account for product transfers from one location
to another.  In reality, however, this is very much dependent upon the people
performing the data entry and tracking.  The labor pool for retail is not
highly skilled or especially highly motivated toward the greater good of the
store or the parent company.  What I am saying is that the attitude of 'Who
Cares' may hamper such efforts.

From a logistics prospective, it could be a real nuisance.  Consider the truck
driver who is making deliveries to stores in the same chain.  The driver just
wants to arrive at the destination, unload the freight, get the paperwork
signed, and drive off to make another delivery or go home.  If drivers are
charged with moving freight from one store to another--whether via the
distribution center or directly--could be cause for problems.  I won't even
begin to list what those problems could be since it would be more speculation
on my part (done enough in this post already) but I am sure you could come up
with a few yourself.

This is not perfect world.  I guess we will just have to deal with the way the
mega-retailers handle our favorite products.  Or try complaining more.

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
Which goes back to what I was saying in the first place, everyone is
trying to predict the future and not dealing with what actually happens.
No inventory balancing. If Mos Espas sell out in one store, and the
store 50 miles away can't move them at all, then the obvious thing would
be to move some stock around (one would think).

If you can't predict the future, then fix the present.

Ray