 Marketplace / Theory / 704
Re: Slim pickings everwhere (Was: Slim Pickings at Target)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 19:56:16 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
Ye gods. What good is
an inventory system if you cannot trust it. What good is an inventory
system if you do not periodically check the shelves and adjust to match
actual inventory. What good is an inventory system if the home office
(KM in this instance) has decided that this item is long gone, dropped
it from the database and the item in question has no package price
marking whatsoever.

In New York, TRU employs RJIS to do total shelf inventory.  After Christmas,
RJIS staffs up and dispenses laser scanner belts to college students on break.
You sometimes find their data sheets lying about.

My experience with TRU is that 3 year old discontinued sets have no prices in
the computer. The sort of stuff that gets lost in the basement and comes up
later. For this you get to haggle with the busy store manager. I suggested 5
cents per piece (reflecting a 50% clearance discount.) In one case I got an old
6340 for $4 which scanned as a newer item.

I too am the little fish that cleans the big fish...

I wonder how that works. Most of the errors I have seen are like this...

1. The computer says we have X stock of Y, but there in none physically there.
2. The computer says we have no stock, but I found some on the shelf.

Once or twice, I have seen RJIS (or equivalent) at work, I was left with
the impression that they look at a shelf, key in the SKU for the item on
the front, then key in how many boxes are seen. With Lego, you have to
look at every box to make sure an odd one was not slipped in. With most
systems, the boxes are of similar color. So you have six Technic boxes,
all the same size, all the same color. Someone would have to be paying
close attention to pick out the mis-shelfed items.

Ray