 Marketplace / Shopping / 1920
1919  |  1921
Subject:
Slim pickings everwhere (Was: Slim Pickings at Target)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 05:36:34 GMT

Of the three TRU stores that I frequent I have seen something this holiday
season that I have never seen before.  The supply of Lego in the store is way
down.  Almost no restocks on current sets [1] and the supply of 2000 sets is
limited. [2]  TRU places overstock above the sales shelves on shelving that can
be reached by a ladder (or really tall person) but today all three stores had
for the most part--NO-- overstock supply.  And the shelves are not that full
either.

Holiday sales of Lego at these 3 TRU stores has been very strong.  Don't know
if that is unusual or not.  But the small supply of Lego in the stores is
amazing to me.  Either these stores have not ordered enough from the warehouse
or the warehouse simply does not have the supply of Lego to send.  I suspect a
bit of both, more the latter.[3]

I took time at one TRU today and orgaized the Lego shelves for them so that
there is only one facing of each set.  Only Mindstorms, Rock Raiders and
Adventurers is fully stocked.  SW is missing the X-Wing and Tie/Y-Wing sets,
Anakin Podracer, plus the Snowspeeder.  No SpacePort Simulation Station, no
Chrome Chrushers or Tunnel Transports, No Model Team Red Fury or Jr. Roadside
Repair, and no Technic hardly at all except for the eternally marked-down
CyberPuke sets.  If you want the Tow-N-Go or Spiders Secret or LightSaber Duel,
there are plenty of those, however.

1.  Many of these missing sets have been out of stock for the last two weeks.

2.  2000 sets only appeared about ten days ago and sales have been strong.
Many are already sold out.  No overstock of these is beyond my comprehension.

3.  TLC has had trouble keeping up with demand since before SW came out.  It
seems to be continuing.

Kevin Salm
....Gray Brick enthusiast....

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
<whine>

Hi all,

Is it just here in Detroit, or does Target's post-Christmas clearance
stock seem unusually sparse this year?  I've been trying to buy up Space
Simulation Stations, and across five Targets, I've found exactly
one--wait, amend that, I found one and a third--open box with open
sub-boxes, poorly taped together and obviously incomplete.

On the other hand, I may just have to blame all of the other SE-Michigan
AFOLs for this depressing discovery.  Which one of you did it?  C'mon,
'fess up.  ;)

</whine>

In all seriousness, though, it does seem to be a scant year--though I
did find the Rock Raiders HQ for $48, still a bit rich for me, and
Kohl's does have a 20% off sale on LEGO, including the 2000 sets, going
right now (30% off Star Wars LEGO, and the Y2000 SW sets are still in
line with MSRP).  A few Ninja sets are around, but none of the good ones
that I need.

Perhaps all of the survivalists are stockpiling.  I did run into several
people at one Target with shopping carts full of soda and cereal,
claiming "Y2K" as the reason for buying all of it.  Somehow, if
civilisation collapses, I don't think Boo Berry is going to save the
homestead, and if it doesn't collapse, I predict that cereal will go
stale long before anyone eats it.  Many people, however, will try to
return their stockpiles when/if nothing happens--now *that* could be
pandemonium.

best,

Lindsay (in Michigan again)