 Marketplace / Theory / 717
Re: Slim Pickings at Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:50:29 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:

As long as most of them don't move, they should drop.  If you're
tempted to buy a few now, don't.  You'll just hold up the price
drops, or possibly stop them entirely.

I've seen you advocate this, but I have to, to a certain extent,
disagree. Suppose you don't buy any, the price doesn't drop, and someone
else buys them all? Or worse, it drops, and someone else swoops in and
buys them all. Now what do you have?

I guess you just have to decide what's worth more to you and also
decide if you're willing to gamble.  I've waited and scored BIG and
I've waited and scored nothing.  I've also waited and seen them
dwindle ever so slowly with NO price drop.

I advocate buying the number that you want to buy at the price point
they are at, given that price point. In my case, that sometimes is "1 or
2" and sometimes is "all" because the set is worth a certain amount to
me. Certainly factor in future drop potential, but don't ace yourself
out of ANY sets (of a particular type) at a discount by waiting for a
drop. If they drop later, great, swoop in and get a bunch more.

Well, my mom manages inventory for Sams and the way she describe the
process to me (at Wal-Mart anyway) the way to have things drop the
quickest and the most is for them to not be bought, and I've seen
that turn out to be true most of the time (as in when I did box
counts from week to week and they remained constant - big drop, when
one or some were missing, low or even no price drop - like the WM
here that had 6099 for $16 months after other stores had cleared
them out at $5).

But you're right - if you can afford (emotionally) to miss out on
getting the sets at a almost good deal, then by all means buy.  Just
realize that you're probably locking yourself into the best deal
you're going to get.

Factoring in other buyers is a pain.  I don't have much free time
anymore and I was out of town this holiday season, so I imagine most
of the other Knoxville legomaniacs, most of whom probably have more
free time than I, will have cleared most stores out.  So I'll swing
by a few, and if i find good deals, fine.  If I don't, it won't
bother me for a couple reasons.  1) I still have more unopened boxes
from mega deals over the last two years than most Wal-Marts, and 2)
Most of the stuff this year sucked anyway, with the exception of
some SW sets for parts.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/