 Marketplace / Theory / 1377
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 23:56:27 GMT

I went to Ames in Concord, NH and Manchester, NH. At the first one, I picked up on
of each SW set I didn't have (about $200.00 retail) and went to pay. When the
first set rang up at full price, I pointed out to the clerk that these should be
75% off, and produced the sales flyer. She looked at the flyer for all of ten
seconds and then proceeded to discount every set by 75%. No hassles.

In the second store I picked up all of their Destroyer Droids, another Battle
Droid and another Slave One (as well as a couple of small sets) When I went to
pay, the Lego rang up at full price. A cashier in the next aisle promptly informed
my cashier that the sets were on sale and to manually enter the discount. I didn't
even need to say anything.  Nice service. I was never really impressed by Ames
before, but I guess I changed my mind.

Both Ames stores had a surprising amount of SW Legos considering today is the last
day of the sale. I kind of wondered about cleaning them out of sets (I only spent
about $100), but decided my Lego budget was already exceeded and I couldn't really
justify all of the extra sets unless I intended to flip them on e-bay. Somehow I
suspect that e-bay is about to be flooded with SW Legos.

Have fun,

Mark

John Robert Blaze Kanehl wrote:

<MAJOR SNIPAGE)

I was made to feel like a criminal and given the Mother of all retail guilt
trips by THE MANAGER..."do you think what you are doing is right?" and
"someone will probably lose their job"...which is garbage...Hey I lost my
job and no at Ames cared what happened to me.

Bottom line I got my SW sets as 75% off, but it took over an hour and
literally attracted the attenton of EVERYONE entering the store for 45
minutes.  This involved the time of 4+ employees for over an hour...given
the energy expended, they waisted more $ in giving me a hard time than they
would have made selling these sets at the sale price...