 Marketplace / Shopping / 4074
Re: Ames 75% off Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 21:11:12 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
This was already posted on FBTB, but I didn't see it here. The sale is 75% off
the entire stock of Star Wars items sold in the Toy and Sporting Goods
departments, and runs through June 3rd. However, the sets haven't been coded to
come up 75% off automatically, and it took about 5 minutes to convince the
not-so-friendly Ames personnel to give me the discount:

I had the same experience, although it took 10 minutes and a call to the
manager to get me my discount.  The service desk clerk attempted to tell
me that it was just "figures and stuff", even though the ad clearly stated
all SW items in Toys or Sporting Goods. (No idea *why* "figures and stuff"
would be in Sporting Goods.)  My patience was rewarded as I was told I'd
get the discount "this time"...

They had to enter it in by hand, but they admitted that I had them dead to rights.
Fortunately they didn't invoke the "right to limit quantities" option.  It only took
about three visits by various managers and ten minutes to clear my considerable
discount.  Thanks for the heads-up, Marc!

I spent about $50, which made it a decent haul.  (Y-Wing/TIE, X-Wing, Sith
Infiltrator, Snowspeeder, Anakin's Podracer, and several Gungan Patrols
and Lightsaber Duels.)  They also had A-Wings, Droid Fighters, Naboo
Fighters, Landspeeders, B-Wings, and Pit Droids (which I didn't want), but
no Gungan Subs, Desert Skiffs, Slave-1s, or Destroyer Droids (which I
*would* have bought...)

Darn, now you're making me wish I'd grabbed the Skiffs and Subs at the Ames in my
neighbourhood!  I managed a haul that totalled about $200 and included five
8002s--finally, I have grey lifeboat davits and engine nacelles!  I passed up a big
chunk of Flash Speeders, A-Wings, Droid Fighters, Gungan Subs, Skiffs, and Naboo
Fighters in favour of Snowspeeders, X-Wings, Droidekas, Landspeeders, Slave Is, and
their ilk  (Including a couple Sith Infiltrators and Tie/Ys!).  If you're reading
this, Mr. Weeks, get down to Mercerville ASAP!  (Apologies in advance for cleaning
out the Slave I and Droideka stocks.)

And, on the way home, ZB had 7190--I passed for now, but I may pick one up next
month.

best

Lindsay