 Marketplace / Theory / 1370
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 02:09:32 GMT

I've had pretty good luck here in my area.  I've pretty much cleaned out my
local Ames with no trouble (except for Technic and a very few of the System
sets); the first time I went in the cashier rang the stuff up and took the 75%
off.  Apparently somebody had bought some stuff the day before so he knew the
drill.  The second time I had to point the ad out to the cashier.  She called a
manager, and they said "Hmm, must've overlooked those SKU's...you'll have to
take the discount one by one." (I had 21 sets or something like that).  I also
visited another AMes this evening, and what little Star Wars Lego they had left
was sitting right over the "Star Wars-75% off" sign.  The clerk rather wearily
took the discount on the few smaller sets I picked up there--she knew the
drill, too! :)

I can see how someone MIGHT get fired over something like this, but I don't
imagine that a mistake like this would be very big in terms of actual $ lost.
Every single one of the Ames stores I have visited has had a small Lego section
anyhow.  They probably will lost money on every SW Lego set, but they probably
also are losing money on the other SW stuff and so the loss on the Lego would be
small in comparison.

I don't know what kind of margins stores have on Lego, but I have a feeling
Ames lost a little bit of money on me this week.  The Lego section in my local
Ames isn't large, but the sets add up (or at least they did before the discount
;)

I'm curious to hear anyone else's experience - it appears that you need at least a
little chutzpah to get the discount.  Seems strange, because I would think stores
would actually want your business (I don't think there are many people who went to
Ames JUST for SW Lego, outside of Lugnet of course).

It took me surprisingly little chutzpah, actually.  The second buy at my local
Ames was the only time I even had to point the ad out, and that time the
cashier immediately agreed with me, as did management when she called them.
Zero trouble--just a bit of a wait while she took the discount on the sets one-
by-one.  I think they thought somebody forgot to enter the Lego into the
computer, and that was that.  Certainly looked that way from the ad, too--it
quite clearly applies to SW Lego, so it was a reasonable response.

Alan