 Marketplace / Shopping / 4084
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 04:01:17 GMT

Peter White wrote:

(and now from Sydney, Australia...)
TARGET tried the same trick in April with their Star Wars stock, then a week
or so later included Lego. TRU down here have had SW specials, sans-Lego as well.

Usually it's stated in the ad when those exceptions are made--and the excuse "that
was a misprint" is hardly going to fly in a situation where a company was clearly
caught with its proverbial pants down.  The honorable thing to do is take the loss
and make the customer happy, but to limit the damage as much as the law allows by
invoking the limited quantity rule.  IMHO, the Ames I bought from today allowed me
much more freedom than they needed to in order to make me happy, and I'll remember
that next week when I'm buying things for my new apartment.

As for how things are sold, sometimes chains overlap Star Wars sales with Lego
sales, thinking the two totally separate; most of the stores I frequent are
actually customer-oriented enough to honour either the deeper discount or
(occasionally) *both* discounts superlatively.  In that last case, I saved about
40-45% on a bunch of great SW Lego just before Christmas.

Lindsay, with your Bradlees 'experience', I thought legally a store HAD to

sell you an item if it had a ticketed price, IANAL, but they are offering a
contract by having a price sticker and by grabbing it in your hands, you
then have a contract.

That's my rough feeling, but of course the praxis is slippery.  What expropriated
my ruminant (e.g., got my goat) was how they handled it--totally unprofessionally,
and with complete disdain for the customers who are their lifeblood.  I did make
sure to draw an analogy between my experiences with Bradlees and similar unpleasant
experiences with the recently-deceased (and larger) Caldor chain to make the
connection as clear as possible.  I simply stated to them that it was "clearly an
example of misrepresentation of merchandise for sale" and left it at that.

Who are the BBB (hopefully not related to the other triple-letter group)

The other triple-letter group?  You mean the AAA (Automobile Association of
America)?  ;)  The BBB is the Better Business Bureau, a US consumer watchdog group
comprised of local chapter organisations that monitor merchant behaviour.
http://www.bbb.org if you're curious.  They usually try to act as honest brokers,
and only rarely try to litigate if a lot of serious complaints are lodged against a
given vendor and found to have substance.  Since I have never had to press the
issue even to the point of arbitration, I don't know if the BBB is really the
merchant's nightmare that the results its mention produces implies--but I'd imagine
that there's got to be something to it.

best

Lindsay