 Marketplace / Shopping / 4083
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 03:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Ben Cox writes:
Well, I tried, but didn't get the discount.  The store manager kept telling • me
that it was star wars brand only.

What is Star Wars brand?  Aren't all the SW toys made by various toy • companies
who have just paid for the license to make them?  What makes action figures
any more a star wars "brand" than an X-wing Lego set?  Hrmmm....

That comment made me do the confused-doggie-head-tilt (rarf?) too.  I simply
pointed out the words "ENTIRE STOCK" and the Ames management acquiesced.  I
think it was intended to apply primarily to the designated "Star Wars area"
items (figures, vehicles, baubles, and other detrius that is movie-related);
however, they should have specified this rather than a blanket "ENTIRE STOCK • of
Star Wars items" if that's what they meant.  Fact of the matter is, the "Star
Wars" logo on the box is as large as the LEGO SYSTEM logo, so you could argue
that it is in fact a "Star Wars brand" just as much as if not more than
anything else that bears that logo.  After all, Kenner et al make other things
besides Star Wars, so the two aren't coterminous.

If that argument doesn't produce results, don't be afraid to invoke the • spectre
of the local BBB--after all, the advertisement doesn't make restrictions or
exceptions, and if Ames tries to spring them on you after the fact it's
deceptive advertising, which is something the BBB wants to know about.  (Of
course, Ames *does* reserve the right to limit quantities, so they could
conceiveably limit you to one of each set if they wished, but not zero.) • After
my negative experience yesterday I wrote Bradlees's online customer service
address a letter (followed with a regular post letter) that merely mentioned
the BBB and fair merchandise sales practices and this morning I found a very
solicitous e-mail apology on behalf of the corporation, with promises of • action
to be taken and that the local management would make suitable amends!  It
remains to be seen what form these amends take, but I find it interesting that
my batting average in disputes where I mention the BBB is a heck of a lot
higher than in those where I have relied simply upon my status as a customer.
It may help, however, that I do not invoke them unless I am *very* clearly in
the right and an impasse has been reached.

I wouldn't be surprised if by tomorrow Ames has a large sign up at its store
entrances announcing an exception, or if they don't ask their staffers to pull
SW LEGO items from the shelves until the end of the sale (I have seen the
latter happen at a K-Mart before).  I'm not sure how legal those actions are,
though.

Anyways, just two pennies from the local David Horowitz wannabe (not really,
ack)...

(and now from Sydney, Australia...)
TARGET tried the same trick in April with their Star Wars stock, then a week
or so later included Lego.
TRU down here have had SW specials, sans-Lego as well.

Lindsay, with your Bradlees 'experience', I thought legally a store HAD to
sell you an item if it had a ticketed price, IANAL, but they are offering a
contract by having a price sticker and by grabbing it in your hands, you
then have a contract.

Who are the BBB (hopefully not related to the other triple-letter group)

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>