 Marketplace / Shopping / 4106
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:26:02 GMT

J Stabile wrote:

Just got back from a local Ames (NJ).  Went through the clerk, the customer
service rep, dept manager and finally the store manager.  They were all
giving the same 'it does not apply to lego' story.  When the Store manager
was done I politely mentioned that he can either honor the sale or I can
call the BBB.  I walked out with $400 of lego for $100.

I'm glad it worked out OK.  Of the two Ameses (?) I visited, I had no real
problems--at the first one, the cashier did ask for confirmation and the
management, which was uncertain about applicability, quickly relented and
allowed it.  The one I went to yesterday very matter-of-factly took the discount
when I showed the cashier the flyer--no management involvement at all.  I will
definitely give Ames the Customer Service thumbs-up on this one, as far as
making good the terms of the sale.  In neither case did I have to work up the
chain of command or browbeat anyone into honoring the sale.  But by the same
token, I think the fact that I wasn't making an absolutely obscene purchase
(limiting myself to less than a cartload, and no more than 1/3 of the inventory)
helped.  That and I made it very clear that these sets are primarily to be mined
for my own construction parts, which is true since they're mostly grey and
because we're liable to have some market saturation after this windfall.  ;)

best

LFB

PS:  BTW, if you're talking about the Mercerville store, that was the first
store I visited on Monday morning--and I had no problems.  Where was it?