 Marketplace / Theory / 1233
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Bizarre.  So what's to stop someone from creating a one-time foofoo bidding
account on eBay to get themselves out of a mess like that?

That won't help much, if you notice in time, the only black mark you can get
is the fact that you retracted a bid. The danger in creating the fake
account is that you are legally tied to it (or you used someone else's
credit card illegally - remember, to get an account on eBay now, you need a
credit card, and I'm assuming they check to see if you've already used a
particular card number [wonder how they deal with spouses]).

Christopher Lindsey said earlier today that he had "just created a throw-away
account"[1] using a free email address and that the registration page at eBay
said you don't need a credit card.  Are there two types of eBay accounts??

Hmm, interesting. They were claiming you needed to use a credit card now. So
much for that...

They are seriously getting to the point of needing a good kick in the pants.
They really aren't very friendly (though more friendly to sellers, so long as
you don't try to embarass the heavyweight sellers).

I'd start boycotting them, but they are where it's at as far as LEGO auctions
go, there just isn't any other venue which comes close in quantity and
variety. I've just had too many good deals there (just today received a batch
of bits advertised as 23 minifigs plus parts, which I won for $46, well, it
looks like some of those parts are a complete 6268 [which was mostly obvious
from the picture], there's also a Technic motorcyle, an Aquasharks set, close
to 20 minifigs not associated with those sets [including several imperial
soldiers], and a host of other parts [and a few Tyco parts and a few non
building block bits, including a checker and some kind of toy vehicle] The lot
is almost not a bad price for the minifigs, and then throw in a complete
pirate ship and a bunch of other bits?). The only other venue's I've got close
to as good deals as my best eBay deals have been a KBOB entering his dark
ages, and a used toy store (though I've had some admirable deals on big pirate
ships in the 500 sets auction and Tom Schlosser's auctions).

Frank