 Marketplace / Theory / 1217
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:29:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Todd Lehman writes:
I think when a bid gets bumped, the "bumpee" bidder should have the option
to (a) have their bid reinstated as the high bid if the "bumper" bidder
retracts their bid or (b) have their bid tossed (the usual).

I recently participated in an auction on eBay where I was outbid by someone
who later retracted his bid.  I had already outbid him though, so my bid was
reset to what it was before I got bumped.  I found it odd that my proxy bid
was IIRC still set to my higher bid.  In other words, if the high bid was
$150 and I proxy bid $200, I got bumped by $250.  I then proxy bid $300 and
when the $250 was retracted my bid was set to $151 with $300 as my proxy bid.

That sounds fair to me!  I wouldn't want to have proxy-bid $300 and then gone
away on a trip and had my proxy bid lowered to $200 because someone reneged on
their $250 bid, and then lose out if someone else bids $250 again.  (Or would
the $300 come back automatically in that case?  (I wouldn't want it to come
back automatically either, if it did drop back to $200 -- unless I'd told it
to come back automatically...))

On eBay, if someone retracts a bid, is the next highest bidder bound to the
sale?

I sure hope not!  That would be a great formula for anguish.

If so, I could see how someone would say "Oh well, missed out on that
one, I'll go bid over here" and get stuck with two of the same thing.  That
seems unfair to all involved.

I agree -- that would be a totally evil auction system.  Only if someone
_agrees_ ahead of time to be bound to their bid ought they to be bound to it.
(Some sort of "right of first refusal" option would be nice too.)

--Todd