 Marketplace / Auctions / 5064
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:46:35 GMT

Another thing is that if an item is $50 and then jumps to $150, people who
would have bid anywhere between $50 and $150 don't bid at all, even if they
want to be on the bid list in case of a retraction.  Then, after the bid is
retracted, they have a reduced amount of time to bid.  Although I haven't
had a "retraction-snipe," it could happen very easily, although it would be
pretty hard to hide and if somebody is caught doing it, I am sure it would
be grounds for an immediate account suspension.  They don't have a term for
it yet (like shilling or sniping), so I don't think it has really happened
too much.

I've had a retraction snipe... worked very well in my favor :)  got the item i
wanted for what i was willing to pay for... (and had many surprises too... i
only bought it for the monorail, but it had 20lbs of other cool things in it :)
I always have hope for it happening again :)