 Marketplace / Auctions / 5058
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:02:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Christopher Lindsey writes:

  I'm trying to understand how things are happening...  When someone
  retracts a bid, the high bid should go to the next highest bidder, right?
  Shouldn't that value have been somewhere within $.50 (or whatever the
  bid increment is) from the retracted bid, so you only lose whatever the
  bid increment is?

Chris

No. When the high bid is retracted, the next highest bid will only be $.50 (or
whatever the bid increment is) above the bid BELOW it.

So if I bid $1.50, then you bid $30.00, then someone else bids $31.00 and
retracts it, you only have to beat me with $2.00, so you'll drop back down to
$2.00. I hope this isn't the absolute worst way to explain this... oh well.

-Adam