 Marketplace / Theory / 1209
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:37:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Adam Hoekwater writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Eric Joslin writes:

You aren't considered the "high bidder" if the winner retracts- but the
seller
does get everyone's bids, and it's natural to assume they might contact a
lower
bidder to unload the item.

In other words, you might get contacted, but not necessarily.

On the other hand, you also don't get the right of first refusal, either.

Wait, do you mean "if the winner retracts his offer" or "if the current high
bidder retracts his bid"? Are we talking about completed auctions now? I think
that if you placed the second highest bid, and the highest bidder retracts his
bid, and the auction hasn't ended yet, then you are the high bidder and will
be required to buy it. At least that's how I see it.

Winner.  If the winner retracts his bid.  After the auction is closed.  There
isn't a winner until the auction is closed.

eric