 Marketplace / Auctions / 5083
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:27:36 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Carrie Whitcher writes:
Let me tell all of you about retractions...Very interesting thing that
occured to me on Tues.  Now the guy who retracted (2x mind you!) is
bidding on ANOTHER large lego lot...

Be wary of this guy, good feedback or not.  When he retracts because
his wife is having pregnancy problems and can't pay $4000
but then turns around and bids $2200+...sounds fishy to me.

Anyway, I have an AWESOME lego lot to pick up this weekend in Vancouver,
and will LYK what's exactly in it!  Woo hoo!!

Sorry, just ranting and venting about irresponsible bidders...

I think people should have to pay a 10% penalty (10% of their bid) in order
to retract a bid.  And on small amounts, the higher of 10% or $10.

What about missing decimal point bids? I did that once by accident. How
do you assess the 10% penalty (against the actual bid or the proxy - if
by the proxy, retractinc a misplaced decimal bid would cost you 10 times
the max you expected to pay - ooops, person X just got forced into
bankruptcy...).

One way to fix missing decimal point bids is to allow reduction of one's
maximum bid to anything equal to or above the current bid one has the
auction held at.

Also, bids which have been outbid should not be able to be retracted at
all unless all succeeding bids have also been retracted or canceled.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com