 Marketplace / Auctions / 5063
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:37:08 GMT

Christopher Lindsey <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote in message
Adam Hoekwater wrote:

No. When the high bid is retracted, the next highest bid will only be • $.50 (or
whatever the bid increment is) above the bid BELOW it.

So if I bid $1.50, then you bid $30.00, then someone else bids $31.00 • and
retracts it, you only have to beat me with $2.00, so you'll drop back • down to
$2.00. I hope this isn't the absolute worst way to explain this... oh • well.

Ahhh...  That's really silly (or at least annoying).  I wonder how many
people do this to their own benefit -- get one throwaway hotmail
account to do the retractions, then use my real account to place
the low bid...

Or maybe that was your whole point.

Ouch!  I feel for you on this...

Chris

Maybe you don't even catch the barb on hook... you can't leave the retractor
feedback because you do not complete a transaction!

Another thing is that if an item is $50 and then jumps to $150, people who
would have bid anywhere between $50 and $150 don't bid at all, even if they
want to be on the bid list in case of a retraction.  Then, after the bid is
retracted, they have a reduced amount of time to bid.  Although I haven't
had a "retraction-snipe," it could happen very easily, although it would be
pretty hard to hide and if somebody is caught doing it, I am sure it would
be grounds for an immediate account suspension.  They don't have a term for
it yet (like shilling or sniping), so I don't think it has really happened
too much.

I truly believe in the market price system, so I start almost all of my
auctions at $1.  If somebody wanted to, they could catch an auction when it
started and put in 2 bids - an anchor bid and a rocket bid.  The anchor
would be something high, like $200 for a space shuttle.  This would be the
permanent bid.  The rocket would come in next (or first - it doesn't really
matter) for a nice $197.50.  That would give the anchor high bid at $200.00.
With only seconds to go, retract the rocket and the anchor gets the winning
bid at $1.  No need to worry about snipers, since in the search engines, it
will come up as a technic shuttle - $200.  Who would even look at that?
Although that is about as cut and dried as possible, it could happen as well
in less obvious circumstances.

Mike