 Marketplace / Theory / 1201
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:57:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Todd Lehman writes:
I think when a bid gets bumped, the "bumpee" bidder should have the option to
(a) have their bid reinstated as the high bid if the "bumper" bidder retracts
their bid or (b) have their bid tossed (the usual).

I recently participated in an auction on eBay where I was outbid by someone who
later retracted his bid.  I had already outbid him though, so my bid was reset
to what it was before I got bumped.  I found it odd that my proxy bid was IIRC
still set to my higher bid.  In other words, if the high bid was $150 and I
proxy bid $200, I got bumped by $250.  I then proxy bid $300 and when the $250
was retracted my bid was set to $151 with $300 as my proxy bid.

On eBay, if someone retracts a bid, is the next highest bidder bound to the
sale?  If so, I could see how someone would say "Oh well, missed out on that
one, I'll go bid over here" and get stuck with two of the same thing.  That
seems unfair to all involved.

Ben Roller