 Marketplace / Theory / 1200
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
What about missing decimal point bids? I did that once by accident. How
do you assess the 10% penalty (against the actual bid or the proxy - if
by the proxy, retractinc a misplaced decimal bid would cost you 10 times
the max you expected to pay - ooops, person X just got forced into
bankruptcy...).

Against the actual bid, not the proxy bid.  Nobody sees your proxy bid anyway
except you the bidder.

Probably should also allow retraction of the actual bid at no penalty if done
within, say, 5 minutes or something like that, and if no one else has yet
counter-bid with information based on your mis-bid.

Probably should also make you go through 1 extra confirmation page for every
order of magnitude that you up the bid by.  IOW, if the high bid is $7.50 and
you bid $775 (and you meant to bid $7.75), it should make you go through two
"Are you REALLY sure" screens...  :)

--Todd