 Marketplace / Theory / 1214
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:06:12 GMT

Christopher Lindsey wrote:

Hmmm...  I don't like this whole bid retraction thing....  It
also means that the seller could pull one over on the buyer
if he has two extra throw-away Ebay accounts, and unless
I check the bidding history I'd never know it...

Scenario:

   1.  I bid on an item going for $5.00, then set my maximum
       bid for $50.00

   2.  The seller realizes that the item isn't selling for what he
       expects, so he/she comes in and bids with another account
       until he/she surpasses your maximum bid (thus finding out
       how high you're willing to go).

   3.  He/she  then retracts that bid, and before the auction ends
       comes in with another account bidding just short of your
       maximum bid, leaving you as high bidder.

Auction ends, seller rakes in the dough, and the buyer is probably
naively happy, thinking that they beat out someone else and not
realizing that they paid more than they probably would have if the
seller hadn't intervened...

A reason to always pay attention to your auctions, and look at the
bidding history if the auction jumps a lot in the last moments. If I'm
eagle eying an auction, I'll even capture the current bidders just
before the last moment, and then re-capture after the auction and see if
the sniper was someone new or someone who had already bid.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com