 Marketplace / Theory / 1224
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:39:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Adam Hoekwater writes:
Wait, do you mean "if the winner retracts his offer" or "if the current high
bidder retracts his bid"? Are we talking about completed auctions now? I
think that if you placed the second highest bid, and the highest bidder
retracts his bid, and the auction hasn't ended yet, then you are the high
bidder and will be required to buy it. At least that's how I see it.

I would never use any auction system that _required_ me to be held to a bid
in such a way.  I'd love to have the _option_ to place my bids in such a way,
but for that to be the default, no way...that's just yet another formula for
anguish among bidders.

BTW, if I understand what people are saying about eBay, if you do get stuck
with one of your old bids that got reinstated at the end because some other
bloke reneged at the end, do -can- renege on your bid, yes?  You don't go to
eBay jail or anything like that, you just get negative feedback or somesuch?

--Todd