 Marketplace / Auctions / 5065
Re: Bid retractions (was Re: eBay dead again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:24:02 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Christopher Lindsey <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote in message
Adam Hoekwater wrote:

No. When the high bid is retracted, the next highest bid will only be • $.50 (or
whatever the bid increment is) above the bid BELOW it.

So if I bid $1.50, then you bid $30.00, then someone else bids $31.00 • and
retracts it, you only have to beat me with $2.00, so you'll drop back • down to
$2.00. I hope this isn't the absolute worst way to explain this... oh • well.

Ahhh...  That's really silly (or at least annoying).  I wonder how many
people do this to their own benefit -- get one throwaway hotmail
account to do the retractions, then use my real account to place
the low bid...

Or maybe that was your whole point.

Ouch!  I feel for you on this...

Chris

Maybe you don't even catch the barb on hook... you can't leave the retractor
feedback because you do not complete a transaction!

Another thing is that if an item is $50 and then jumps to $150, people who
would have bid anywhere between $50 and $150 don't bid at all, even if they
want to be on the bid list in case of a retraction.  Then, after the bid is
retracted, they have a reduced amount of time to bid.  Although I haven't
had a "retraction-snipe," it could happen very easily, although it would be
pretty hard to hide and if somebody is caught doing it, I am sure it would
be grounds for an immediate account suspension.  They don't have a term for
it yet (like shilling or sniping), so I don't think it has really happened
too much.

A similar pricing problem happens if someone fails to come through on
their win, and the seller offers the item to the next highest bidder.
The next highest bidder shouldn't necessarily have to pay their bid
amount, but also shouldn't get the item for just minimum bid over the
3rd highest bid.

I hope eBay does something about bid retractions. Ultimately, the
problem is with the fixed ending time. If there was not a fixed ending
time, a bid retraction could just be handled as a status change,
resetting the G1-G2-Sold clock.

The way eBay could handle it is that if there is a bid retraction,
especially one which makes a significant change in price, the seller has
the option of re-listing the item, or extending the auction.

Probably eBay should disallow bid retraction, and only allow bid
cancellation. Then you need to justify to the seller why you want to
cancel your bid.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com