 Marketplace / Shipping / 262
Re: Envelopes are NOT enough (was Re:...never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 01:04:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Kevin Wilson writes:
James Brown wrote:
I've noticed lately (last 2-3 months?) that everything coming from
the US has been tagged for GST.  Have any other Canucks noticed this,
or it is "pick on James" month at Canada Customs?

Hasn't happened to me recently... it's definitely you they are after :-)

Maybe it's just us Albertans - the feds don't like that we don't have
a provincial sales tax.  :-)   Seriously, I suspect it's because Kevin's
stuff is below Cdn$50 in value and is coming from a private individual
who is correctly taking the extra ten seconds to fill out that little
green customs tag as contents being a gift of LEGO.  Over $40 or $50
declared value, and we get nailed.  If it's a business shipment (instead
of personal/gift which is what we're doing) from LEGO S@H, then the
small $value gift exemption doesn't work.  James is either getting some
good sized persontoperson shipments, or is calling S@H too much.   :-)

As for the US govt. types not charging on LEGO heading south, I would
want some more confirmation on that - it doesn't seem likely.

SRC