 Marketplace / Shipping / 248
Re: What do you do when you never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:10:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Richard Marchetti writes:
Rob, Lar:

I don't disagree with any of what you fellows have been stating.  If you want
to sell stuff and refuse responsibility for items damaged in the mail and
state this up front to the buyer, no problem.  If you want to include a proof
of mailing charge in with your shipping charges and communicate this up front
to the buyer, no problem.

I think Frank's problem is that he has nothing more than the seller's word
that he has mailed the items, and this burden of proof lies clearly with the
seller -- it would be great to live in a world where everyone could be assumed
to be honest, but it's just not that kind of world.  The seller needs to
protect himself against this liability or stand up for the consequences of
failing to do so.  I don't know the tiny details of their deal, but the
seller's word that the items were mailed is simply not good enough -- he must
either produce proof of mailing, the goods themselves, or a refund in this
instance.  Where's the argument here?

One thing I should have pointed out is that he did offer insurance and delivery
confirmation but I didn't take them (however, he also didn't expresslely say
that I took all responsibility if I declined). I do think it's kind of silly
for sellers to offer a choice on delivery confirmation. It really mostly
benefits the seller (there may be some advantage to the buyer assuming the
buyer is given the item number, but I assume the web site doesn't show the
destination address - I've never actually looked up an item and don't have a
slip handy with me right now to check), and thus it seems to me that the seller
should not give an option on this (but should explain that the shipping charge
does include delivery confirmation). One could assume that if the seller offers
the option of insurance that the buyer is at his own risk even though that is
not expressly stated.

I will also say that based on my shipping experience, insurance is not really
worth it. If I accept the loss on this item, and accept that the one other item
that I never received which I'm assuming the seller stiffed me because a bunch
of his customers never got their goods, and I accept the loss from the one item
which I know bits were lost from (1), I'm still ahead of the game even had I
paid for insurance, and I've saved a LOT of trips to the Post Office to pick up
items (random factor - sometimes insured items are left at the apartment
complex office, and sometimes they're brought back to the Post Office).

(1) And this one I feel the seller is really responsible for. They packed the
bits in lightweight zip lock bags in a padded mailer. The problem is that the
sharp edges sliced the bags and the envelope. I always pack items so that the
danger of this happening is minimal. Some things I do to prevent loss:

- I almost always use an inner bag to keep the parts in should the outerpackage
fail
- I try to use freezer weight ziplocs when possible
- I usually wrap items in an extra layer of bubble wrap before putting them in
a padded mailer (this also makes the package thicker which probably makes it
less likely to be run through the automagic mail masher)
- I always put a card with the buyers address and my address inside the
package, preferably inside the bag of parts, or taped to it. This protects the
addresses should the package get severely mangled (and I once got back half a
folded business reply card because the only address which was left was my
address from the info I filled out). If the parts are in multiple bags, I
almost always either wrap them in another bag (or sometimes just tape bubble
wrap around the whole shebang) or put an address card in each sub-package.
- I tend to be liberal with the sealing tape
- When re-using packaging, I don't use overly mangled packaging.

Frank