 Marketplace / Auctions / 6864
6863  |  6865
Subject:
What do you do when you never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 21:27:04 GMT

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I won an auction several weeks ago from an eBay
seller, and have not yet received the package. I have been communicating with
the seller this week, and now he is offering to send me the items again, if I
pay a portion of the cost. Additionally, I perhaps foolishly won a bid on
another of his auctions. He does have a good eBay rating and no neutral or
negative feedbacks. A couple buyers have recently given him positive
feedback for LEGO items recently sold on eBay. Some of the things which are red
flags to me though are:

- he is selling more items than he is offering on eBay (of course I'm sure lots
of people are incented to try and stretch eBay's rules [well, ok, flat out
break them] so this isn't really that bad

- he has not offered any description of the package despite my asking

- if the package really went lost, this is the first package which has been
totally lost (I did have a package fail to keep all of its contents, I also
got stiffed by one seller, never heard from him again, and communicated with
other buyers who were also stiffed) out of well over a hundred packages,
including numerous packages from Europe and Canada.

- he is using a hotmail account

On the other hand, it seems like the seller is not out to stiff people (he's
been selling long enough that if he made a habit of it, it seems likely that he
would have got negative feedback). If the amount were higher, I'd be tempted to
offer to buy using COD (and I'd be willing to pay the fee for that). I will pay
for insurance on the next package, and ask for delivery confirmation (and ask
for the item number so I can track it also, does the web site show the delivery
address?). What's also too bad is that the prices are pretty close to the
maximum I'm willing to pay, so paying a little extra would put them well above
what I'd normally be willing to pay.

The seller lives in Foster City CA if anyone lives near enough to there to
arrange an in person pickup (I'd use PayPal or otherwise get you money so you
would pay the seller in cash, plus pay something for your time and effort, plus
shipping of course).

I also do see that at least one Lugnetter has bought from this seller recently
(from the same set of auctions). I probably should just suck it in and send
more money.

Frank