 Marketplace / Shipping / 251
Re: What do you do when you never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:49:23 GMT

The most recent case of a Postal employee discarding mail was here in
Durham NC. Fortunately he got caught. In that instance, most of the mail
was mail which was supposed to be forwarded or returned to sender.

Your story about the delivery confirmation item being delivered but
possibly to the wrong address or being swiped off the doorstep reminds
one that if a sender REALLY is concerned about the buyer getting the
item, you need to use a service which requires a signature for receipt.

I am a bit surprised though that packages with delivery confirmation get
left at the door. There is a checkbox for "leave if no one is home" on
the slip, so the package SHOULD only get left if that box is checked.

Of all the carriers, the one I feel is best is Fedex. I think they have
the best tracking (though I haven't dealt with UPS much since they've
added tracking of ground packages). You can also call the office when
they leave a slip on your door and either arange to pick the package up
that evening, or the next day, or you can sign the slip and have them
leave it at your door (UPS doesn't have evening pickup hours, or at
least our office doesn't, plus they are way off in an annoying place to
get to whereas Fedex is conveniently located). Airborne was pretty good
also (I think they may actually have had the best evening hours), but
with their new service for residential recipients, they're no better
than the Post Office (in fact worse, the package that I got that way
took a week to get to me, Priority Mail would have been quicker, and the
tracking ends when they deliver the package to the Post Office). Also,
our local UPS folks tend not to leave a note on my door when they leave
the package at the office (fortunately, probably in part due to me, my
apartment complex has started posting the names of people who have UPS
packages waiting on the wall of the mailbox room - I think they got
tired of me coming in daily asking about packages, which was the only
choice open when I was getting packages by UPS).

Someone else mentioned that a pet peave they have is when senders don't
let them know how they plan on shipping (UPS or with something requiring
a signature). One example of why it is REAL important to let people know
that something is coming and how it is coming is that a while ago a
Canadian placed an order from S@H US (before the merger of S@H US and
S@H Canada) for delivery to me. They forgot to mention that it was
coming. It just happened that I was in the office soon after it arrived
otherwise it could have sat for a while (I'm not sure if this was before
they started posting who had packages waiting, or if they just forgot to
list me, or if they didn't bother to list me because I also had Postal
packages waiting [I don't think the Postman has ever neglected to leave
a pink slip either in my mailbox or on my door]).

An amusing thing that happened to me which involved my trying to get a
company to ship something Fedex instead of UPS: Back when Windows 3.1
came out, I ordered an upgrade through my mouse company (I had got
Windows 3.0 with my mouse). After a couple months it had not arrived. I
called up the order fulfillment place and complained. The person was
unhelpful so I asked to speak to a supervisor. He wasn't helpful either,
and gave me the number of someone at Mouse Systems. I called them and
finally got someone who said they'd ship the package Fedex. In the end,
I received three copies, all shipped by UPS. Apparently each person had
in fact made a note to get a copy out to me (and so much for the
supervisor who said they;d Fedex it to me).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com