 Marketplace / Shipping / 258
Re: Envelopes are NOT enough (was Re:...never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:50:58 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Steve Chapple writes:
Envelopes - padded or otherwise - just don't cut it for LEGO shipping.
The ziploc inside lessens the danger, but it's still not good enough.
I RX'd three packages last week.  Two were in padded envelopes, one of
which managed to survive, but the other had parts leaking out of it.
The third was the first I have RX'd where the shipper (Dan Siskind from
Brickmania) has packed better than I myself do.  Someone (I think it
was Tom Stangl) quite awhile back laid out some good packaging rules.

Padded envelopes can work if an extra layer of bubble wrap is put around the
bag of parts.

An interesting twist which seems to work fairly well. I have now received
several packages from overseas where an unopened set has been wrapped in
bubble wrap, and then the whole bundle wrapped with heavy paper. It's true that
a puncture wound from a spike would kill the box, and probably some parts, but
then you'd need a pretty oversized package to protect from that unless you use
steel boxes or something.

- Padding all around the LEGO (where practical) filling up all empty
space.  (Not just a bit of loose fill which will get packed down and
leave empty air-space.)

Good point which I forgot to list.

My box from Dan was the size of a LEGO tub with cardboard thicker than
a 1x1.  Inside there was a slight airspace to cushion impact and then
a second strong box just the right amount smaller than the first one.
(Both were solidly taped up.)  Inside that were my bags of LEGO parts,
with some bubble paks filling the little bit of empty space left.

Dan's packing almost sounds like overkill, but I suppose with the right
contents, is worth it.

The downside of insurance is that the reciever gets taxed based on
the declared value.  If Dan hadn't put "Gift" "$30 value" as I had
requested, I'd have had about a $100 bill to pay before getting my
package.  As it was, I arrived home and it was waiting on my front
step.  Yes - I did take a considerable risk, but I have found that
shipping parcels within USA/Canada is reliable enough to do so.  Any
problems I've had with parcels has been to/from somewhere overseas.

Something for people receiving LEGO into the US: remember, LEGO is duty free
when shipped to the US (from all but a handfull of countries). There is no
reason to lie on the customs form for a package going to the US. Feel free to
insure for the full value.

Frank