 Marketplace / Shipping / 254
Re: What do you do when you never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:48:24 GMT

"john hadd" <limitup@ameritech.net> wrote in message
Well, To me, the whole shipping thing is the most complicated and vague • of all
the selling and trading issues, a lot of unknowns and unproveables.

YES, YES, YES!!

I do not
think that you can transfer the liability to the buyer, maybe in writing • with
the buyers signature, but you're saying with a verbal agreement? What • would
stop the scammers from taking it to the extreme? I can't see how a verbal
agreement would overrule PO Regulations. I asked at my PO about this very
issue, "If I tell the buyer I won't be responsible if they don't insure" • and I
was told, nope, you are still responsible, why? the scammers.

I agree/concede (without checking) that this is the official policy/law of
the USPS, but I disagree that a buyer would be able to prosecute (whatever
the correct process is) a claim against me as a seller if I can
substantiate:
(what I said before)
1.  Evidence of the dialogue transferring liability/risk to the buyer
2.  Proof of shipment
and (a new one I just thought of[1])
3.  Proof that the packaging/addressing  was more than adequate to prevent
damage loss and/or damage.

Also, the USPS has the domestic insurance claim guidelines available on
PDF.  Its worth a read if you use USPS insurance and have never looked at.
Search the http://www.usps.com/ site.

--
-Rob.
(still enjoying this discussion)

[1]  I did receive a few minifigs included with a money order as payment
once.  The figs were (along with the check) dropped in a standard envelope
with no warnings marked on the outside.  The envelope was partially shredded
by the automatic sorting equipment, the check was torn (still cashable), and
only one of three minifigs made it.

New sets and parts for sale or trade:
http://www.doucettenet.com/lego/
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=doucette