 Marketplace / Shipping / 256
255  |  257
Subject:
Envelopes are NOT enough (was Re:...never receive your package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Richard Marchetti writes:
- I almost always use an inner bag to keep the parts in should the
outerpackage fail
- I try to use freezer weight ziplocs when possible
- I usually wrap items in an extra layer of bubble wrap before putting
them in a padded mailer (this also makes the package thicker which
probably makes it less likely to be run through the automagic mail masher)
- I always put a card with the buyers address and my address inside the
package, preferably inside the bag of parts, or taped to it.
- I tend to be liberal with the sealing tape
- When re-using packaging, I don't use overly mangled packaging.

Envelopes - padded or otherwise - just don't cut it for LEGO shipping.
The ziploc inside lessens the danger, but it's still not good enough.
I RX'd three packages last week.  Two were in padded envelopes, one of
which managed to survive, but the other had parts leaking out of it.
The third was the first I have RX'd where the shipper (Dan Siskind from
Brickmania) has packed better than I myself do.  Someone (I think it
was Tom Stangl) quite awhile back laid out some good packaging rules.
- Parts in bags (not built together so they can scratch each other)
- Padding all around the LEGO (where practical) filling up all empty
space.  (Not just a bit of loose fill which will get packed down and
leave empty air-space.)
- Packed inside a strong cardboard box.  A train set or old-style
Technic box with the plastic trays (which reinforce inside) is a
good reference standard.
- Remember that this box is going to be thrown and dropped and have
other packages dumped on top of it.  If the box isn't strong with
padding material "holding up the inside" it will get "smooshed".
My box from Dan was the size of a LEGO tub with cardboard thicker than
a 1x1.  Inside there was a slight airspace to cushion impact and then
a second strong box just the right amount smaller than the first one.
(Both were solidly taped up.)  Inside that were my bags of LEGO parts,
with some bubble paks filling the little bit of empty space left.

The downside of insurance is that the reciever gets taxed based on
the declared value.  If Dan hadn't put "Gift" "$30 value" as I had
requested, I'd have had about a $100 bill to pay before getting my
package.  As it was, I arrived home and it was waiting on my front
step.  Yes - I did take a considerable risk, but I have found that
shipping parcels within USA/Canada is reliable enough to do so.  Any
problems I've had with parcels has been to/from somewhere overseas.

SRC
StRuCtures
(Envelopes are for papers, padded envelopes are for solid items
like 3.5 diskettes, LEGO requires boxes - good boxes with padding)