 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5877
  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Wow. You guys are SO fast! I just got final green light a few hours ago, and was working on an announcement! So here's the skinny: As announced at BrickFest PDX, there have been a limited number, one time only product run of the old colors. We (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX) !!

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Let me flame you nontheless. No, it's not a band-aid. It's the proof that LEGO knows that the AFOL community is unhappy and it's a shameless attempt to shut us down (up?). It's also a shameless attempt at making more cash as these bulk packs (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Well, these days I pretty much knew that was coming. (...) Since I'm the one that beg, borrowed, and pleaded to make this happen, I'll take the heat for the decision. It wasn't a shameless attempt to do anything but deliver to the fans (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX) !

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I stand behind Jake, his decisions, and his dedication to our community. The benefits he's offered on our behalf stand proudly on their merits alone, and he's done nothing but present himself as a person of character in our presence and in the (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Hear, hear! There are some people that no matter what you do, it can't be good enough for them. I think the color issue, unfortunate as it is, is bringing out peoples' true character and showing all reading what the people here are made of. (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

Tim, you couldn't be more wrong. Lego as a company could satisfy me easily. Change back to the original grey and brown colors and move on. Correct the real problems with the company instead of changing things that are perfectly fine the way they (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

"Terry Prosper" <t@rotule.qc.ca> wrote in message news:Hus8Bq.1v6E@lugnet.com... (...) solution (...) this (...) that LEGO (...) shut us (...) bulk (...) then, (...) decided (...) and (...) find (...) my (...) Um, okay - let me see if I've got this (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Problem is, Jake the fan is a representative of the company. I haven't read anyone attacking his personal motives. But as the designated representative of the company for the community, a lot of stuff we'd like to say to the company gets said (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) That opinion may not be universally shared (...) At this point, how exactly is that change back an *easy* thing? Have you carried out an analysis to be sure it is easy or are you just guessing, or wishing, or are you saying it is easy from (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) These are better than the bulk packs that I had hoped for. When I first read the PDX anouncement about the 10,000 bags of each, I thought that they would be bags of just 1 part type. These assortments of bricks and plates are much better. (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

Jake! Thanks. I just ordered a modest quantity of old color light and dark grey bricks and plates to ensure I can complete an existing project. I will plan new projects around such parts as I already have and around whatever new parts are available (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

Jake! Regardless of timing, the assorted BROWN bricks and plates are two of the best sets, ever! I will be very happy to get them. -Erik (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

Thanks for facilitating this, Jake. I know this whole situation has been rough, and you've handled it like a true professional. I was truly shocked at the colour change at first, but am over it now. It's time to move on, and to focus on the things (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Amen to that 100%. I think Jake is doing a terrific job here, especially considering the terrible shortage of asbestos t-shirts around here (and the distressing surplus of flying lumps of lava). All in all I want to congratulate you, Jake, on (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) What makes you think you are representative of the majority? I sincerely belive there are at least a thousand "don't care":s for each "the new colors p*** me off":s (...) As you don't know what the problem with the old colors is/was, how do (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) First, I'll say this is not a flame at Terry. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and if nothing else, he's letting it be known. Now, having said that, I have to side with Jake. He has been taking heat for this the entire time, even though I'll (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) -snip- (...) Well, I won't flame you for the colour change, but I will for not giving the Australian prices!!!! Once again you carelessly disregard some of your loyalest fans. We might make up only 5% of AFOLs but time and time again we are (...) (20 years ago, 18-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I've got to agree--and thanks to Jake and whoever else was involved in making at least this much happen. The point is that at 62 bricks of said color for $5 a bag, that's a *heck* of a lot better pricewise than the old mixed assortment was, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Hi Jake, Thank you for all your work to get this going. It wasn't something you had to do, but something you did to help the community. Yes its a band-aid, yes its too bad there is a limited production run, but none of that is your fault. It (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Feh. The protest i voiced wasn't toward Jake himself as a person, but towards the LEGO Group. Like many others, I am most displeased with the Company's decision to change the colors. I didn't know that Jake himself was behind the decision of (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I didn't flame Jake personnally. I voiced my anger at TLG. Jake works for TLG. I know he is trying to help us. He's on "our" side. Still, I can't be satisfied with the band-aid. It's nothing to me. 10 000 bags? what's that for the whole (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Jake (or anyone) - Is set 10064 "Grey Plates #1" new grey or classic grey? (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I was hoping, after hearing this idea was put forth at Brickfest PDX, that it would someday come to fruition. My only surprise was how fast it happened! It obviously took some work to setup but didn't take very long to happen. (...) You (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I believe its classic grey until such time as stock runs out. Then, if they do another production run, it would be in new grey. (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new packs prompts Poll on Eventual color policy collapse

Thanks for going the extra mile for the band-aid - it is better than nothing! But it makes not the slightest bit of sense that Lego is ignoring the wishes of its clientel. So, it's poll time! (URL) I take it no one paid attention to the Coca-Cola (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Okay -- let's show them. How fast _can_ 10,000 packs disappear? (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) <snip> Ya know, colour change schmolour change. However it happened, and however limited a run it is, allow me to say a huge "Thank you!" for re-releasing my all-time favourite set: (URL) Grey Brick Pack> Ever since it got discontinued ~4-5 (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

Is that a WISH, or did the 3x3 corner come in light grey and I missed it? I know some in dark grey showed on BL stores last year, but I mean *affordable* quantities. (...) -- Tom Stangl *(URL) Visual FAQ home *(URL) Visual FAQ Home (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) (URL) that's *all* you buy that set for, the price is $20 apiece, but there's a lot else in that set. I really want to buy one when I get a job. . . (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  The breadcrumbs from the masters table

(...) Did you really believe this could be held under the hood? Do you - in contrast to what you said - still underestimate the enormous importance of the issue? It is *not* about a grey or brown or violet (or whatever other changes were planned - (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  The TLC Dinosaur problem: big body, little brain, never learned to steer.

(...) Well, anything else would have been a miracle, wouldn't it? (...) Wow. "A quickly as they could". You are telling us that it takes that many months of Time To Market for a simple bulk pack? TLC really has the dinosaur problem. (...) I, too, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Yeah, that's a pretty good set for parts. The model is disappointing, though -- it's all about outside appearance and there's no clever functionality or interior design. (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: The breadcrumbs from the masters table

(...) Are taxes included in the Euro price? They're not in the US one. (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: The breadcrumbs from the masters table

(...) OK, but it's not as if we had 38% sales tax here... Besides, they are made in Europe and shipped to the US, so this factor has not been taken into account yet. Yours, Christian (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

While new assortment bags are (as you say) no solution to the Color Change, they are still great sets by themselves, and hats off for the speed to implement these new sets. I'm impressed to see that TLG can actually rush things into production if (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) You seem to forget that Coke had real competition (Pepsi). If it weren't for lots of pissed-off people abandoning the Coke brand, Coke could have gotten away with the switch. The fact is that a viable alternative did exist, and former "loyal" (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Changing back would mean that LEGO management would have to admit the decision was wrong in the first place. This won't happen unless sales drop off badly. This won't happen because most LEGO is bought for kids and it's not likely that this (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: The breadcrumbs from the masters table

"Christian Treczoks" <ct@braehler.com> wrote in message news:HutpDo.1ry4@lugnet.com... (...) Perhaps, but what does the VAT do? Are the labor costs for running the distribution center more? It's really hard to compare prices in two countries (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) for (...) gotten away (...) former (...) I didn't forget, that wasn't the point I was making. The point was that Coke accepted the mistake and changed it back. Why they did it is completely irrelevant. It was just an example that a company, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) By your logic, I might as well take a razor blade and slash my arm because I will only lose a small percentage of my life's blood. The real question is how many people LOVE the new colors enough to increase their purchases, not how many people (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Comment on the clones. KB, TRU, Kroger, and however man more stores that sell Lego. They all put the megablocks near or mixed in with the Lego sets. No wonder parents are confused. Can you blame them. They see the set and the color or image of (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) While I agree, I'm completely sick of hearing everyone spout off about this whole thing. Lego has the right do what it wants with its product line. Buy it or don't buy it. There are other things way too important going on to throw a fit about (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I agree! I think about the only thing continuing to beat this dead and now decomposed horse is accomplishing is positioning a few people as whiners in the minds of the great many of us who have by now let the issue go. Its such a nuisance (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Let's not forget that this very week we have seen evidence that our complaints have been heard and that TLC is taking action. This is no dead horse in my eyes. My hope is that the bulk parts pack are in fact a trial baloon, and that TLC may (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I don't like the fact that old grays are discontinued either. but I've made my objection known a few times, through multiple channels, and now I'm prepared to move on. I'm having trouble grasping why some people want to write essentially the (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I would venture to say not many, as the change seems relatively minor. However just analyzing the delta from of color change itself may not produce the right conclusions about it's importance since you're treating it as a single factor type of (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

In lugnet.lego.direct, Chris Phillips wrote: (snip) (...) I think Jake responded quickly to the initial outcry, but the continued discontent is not having any added effect IMO. (...) I think the characterization of the bulk packs as "trial balloons" (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) For something constructive AND cathartic, I suggest poetry: O Lego gray! The stuff of classic space, The stones of castle walls. The ravages of time erase Your hue, and now this blow falls. Your final days are numbered, One last batch we (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) Well stated John! I personally believe that the ranting, raving and 'frothing at the mouth' will do more to disuade the powers that be in TLC from listening to the AFOL community. I know if this (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I think the point was missed. Basic bricks and plates will be easy to come by in the old colors for some time via various places -- the fact that we can't get any of the new non-basic parts is what the problem truly is. For example, I got all (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Certainly the bulk packs would not have happened without Jake's efforts, and I accept his assertion at face value that this is intended to be a one-time deal. However, we know for a fact that TLC is in the process of re-evaluating their entire (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

It may be old to you, but if everyone stops complaining, TLG might get the idea that the color change doesn't matter anymore, which is far from the case. TLG has been shown to be pretty clueless the last few years, so it might take a {very long (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Yes, it was missed by the people who have the authority to make the decision that really counts, and the specifics about how that decision was announced pretty much suggest that they figure it's not such a big deal and it'll blow over in short (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) I don't know where he gets the stuff, but Morten Sorenson had a few hundred of the slopes for $2.50 apiece in his BrickLink store. Believe me, I'd love to see a bulk pack of those. And Tom--you didn't know those were out there? Surprise! LFB (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: The breadcrumbs from the masters table

(...) I think that's hitting the nail on the head. In Europe for the most part Lego still have their patent. Megablocks are available in some countries but have yet to make an impact. Megablocks and other competitors in the US are the only likely (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Maybe the community should be renamed IFOL: Immature Fans Of Lego -Lars (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Jake, I would like to thank you and the LEGO company for putting out these bulk packs as a way to acknowledge that the color change is an issue for AFOLs. There have been a lot of negative comments on the color change and anything LEGO has to (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping, FTX)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

The sets lately haven't thrilled me. I only buy sets if I KNOW I'll like the parts. Those 3x3 corner slopes aren't in the picture on the front of the box. If they would have been, I'd have noticed long ago. Yes, I could REALLY, REALLY use these in (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) To be honest, I only realized they were there when I went into one of the LEGO outlet stores and saw one built and in the display case. At first, because it was at a different angle, my response was "ARGH, another store set using pieces that (...) (20 years ago, 20-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H

(...) Incorrect. On a scale of 1 to 10, four years ago Lego was a 10 and Mega Bloks was a 3. Today Lego is a 9 and Mega Bloks is a 7.5. So while Lego is still superior, Mega Bloks have in fact become a viable alternative in a quality versus quantity (...) (20 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping)