 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1070
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:23:31 GMT

With respect to the discussion of Lego vs Mega Bloks, one parallel that
springs to mind is Apple Macintosh vs Wintel PC's.

Apple hardware has long been characterized as a good quality product
that is overpriced when compared to functionally similar offerings from
the PC camp.  For the die-hard Mac purist, the difference was night and
day, cost be-damned; however,  for the average buyer that just stumbled
in off the street into an electronics superstore, saving $X is all that
matters.  (Please, let's not get into a religious war over computers
here-- remember to focus on Lego!)

Still, Apple has managed to get their act together, redesign their
hardware, cut costs, increase sales, and start turning profits quarter
after quarter.  And although I'm not too keen on the iMacs myself, the
latest batch is a decent enough piece of hardware/software that is true
to the Macintosh experience (whatever that is).

I'm not sure what the lesson is for TLC in that though.  In fact, maybe
there's a lesson in there that I don't want TLC to think about (glossy
marketing, emphasis on superficial details, etc.....).

For myself, I'd just like to see more bulk elements at sane prices.  I'm
skeptical that bulk sales will ever be a big part of the company's
overall profit though.  I do hope that it is successful enough to keep
alive on an ongoing basis.  If nothing else, I think it creates a market
and a cash flow that would otherwise not exist, and it is a nice gesture
of recognition towards AFOL's.

Now, when can I buy grey 1xN bricks in 1000-piece or 5000-piece lots at
prices similar to the bulk 1200 piece tubs I can get at Walmart?   :-)

-Roy