 General / 23700
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:26:11 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
  Why does that worry you?  If a competitor is able to manufacture a • product
that receives praise, and that product is still less popular than the
leading brand, I'd think the leading brand would be elated.

I'm worried that MegaBloks appears to be gaining ground on LEGO.  As you
point out later on - juniorization is going to be one of those causes.

Alternatively,
if MegaBloks keeps improving the quality of its products, then the only • ones
who should worry are those with singleminded and devotion to LEGO,

Which is me -  I won't buy a clone as long as I live.

Kinda like Lionel and American Flyer, but with building blocks.

as well
as those at TLC who are unable to respond to consumer demand and interest.

Its really unfortunate that this appears to be the case :-(

  How has LEGO responded to the presence of a competitor in the market?
Strangely, it seems, they've begun producing more and more juniorized sets
with uninteresting designs and horrible piece:price ratios.  I've heard it
put forth in earlier threads that the competitor's presence somehow forces
LEGO to dummy-down its product to compete--blaming, in effect, the
competitor for the drop in LEGO set quality, rather than some internal
decision made by TLC itself.

That's an interesting take.  But its the opposite of what would be
expected - and if its that, someone isn't doing a very good job.  I'll have
to think of that more - it very well could be the reason - not an
independent resolve of TLC to dumb things down on their own.

  Easily the best thing TLC has done in the last year is the addition of
bulk sales, as I'm sure many here would agree.  MegaBloks has answered,
indirectly perhaps, with ProBuilder models.  The "Sea Rescue" set for • $19.99
includes about 120 red 2x4 bricks, about 20 white 2x4 bricks, dozens of • 2x2
slopes and inverse slopes, as well as a host of plates, clear bricks, and
1x? bricks.  The other Probuilder sets are similarly well-stocked (the
Kittyhawk has 630 2x4 grey bricks!)  The presence of LEGO bulk purchasing
offsets the market power of Probuilder sets only in the range of specific
parts and colors available and in the lessening but still undeniable gap • in
quality between MegaBloks and LEGO.

There's a definite quality gap - but the appeal to kids is another issue.  I
think that when parents see the cheaper prices and the 'cooler' sets put out
by MegaBloks, they'll switch almost without giving LEGO a chance.  Kids may
know the difference but they don't know what the difference *means* - who
was there first, who originally had the best stuff, etc.  All they want is
me, now.  That could spell danger for TLC.

  If MegaBloks continues to achieve in the arena of international awards,
promotional materials, and licensing (I'm no NASCAR fan, but that was a • cool
license for MB to snag), then LEGO should respond by improving the quality
of its products, rather than continuing in the proverbial downward spiral
toward full juniorization and terrible pricing.

True - but will they?

How long have we been complaining online in their full view about their
products?  At least 4 years - cause that's how long I've been here.  There's
always been complaining from what I remember, and they've beel pretty slow
to respond.  They responded with bulk parts and that's awesome - they
recently responded with REAL train windows, AMAZING!  But their regular
product line still is severely lacking.

Star Wars is awesome this year - especially that Imperial Shuttle and the
TIE with Stormtrooper.  I'm not too excited about much else though - Life on
Mars is way too juniorized and cartoonish (I see another Arctic failure) -
Bionicle is a Throwbots/RoboRiders rehash, and look at those Technic C3PO
and Stormtrooper.  The more I look at 2001 the sicker I get.  But it doesn't
make me as sick as hearing the complaints and seeing the competition, and
then seeing how TLC has replied with worse and worse products.  The
relationship between the fans and TLC looks bright, but I sure wish they
would listen to us more and be able to change stuff coming out of Billund.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne