 General / 23740
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 05:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

The leader's customers will be able to choose exactly what they want to buy • --
brick for brick -- 100% online.  The ERP to make this work is easier said • than
done, but someone will do it.

Alvin Toffler fantasized about the total customization of mass production in
the 70s ("Future Shock" and so on.) Fifteen years later, Dell was held up as
proof of the concept. Ten years after that, Dell hasn't changed, and nobody is
ordering customized spoons. Yes, Toffler's examples included spoons shaped by
robots to be different from your neighbor's. Give him some slack, it was the
70s, and he didn't play with Lego.

My mailbox hasn't gotten any bigger in 61 years. Today I went to pick up Lego
packages in person. My mail is still limited by what will fit into a carrier's
twin sack in one day, or by the size of a steel locker out front on the lawn.
Just another bottleneck.

Ah, one advantage of living in an apartment complex is that the carrier shows
up in his truck, which generally seems to hold plenty of packages. What is also
usually a benefit is that if I'm not there to sign for a package, they can
often get the folks in the office to sign for it (haven't totally figured out
when they can leave packages and when they can't, the only class of package
that I've received that I've ALWAYS had to go to the Post Office to sign
for and pick up is registered, insured has sometimes required a Post Office
visit, and sometimes been left with the office). The little tiny box also isn't
a problem, if the package is too big, they either drop it off at my door or
leave it at the office.

Frank