 General / 23736
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 04:05:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman wrote:

If TLC were my toy company....

First, I would do the obvious and offer as many kinds of bricks in bulk online as
I could.  That's a no-brainer.  After all, you can't build imagination without
the hardware;-)

Second, I would completely revamp the train line and pursue the model railroading
market.  Although it is said that the NMRA is graying, blah, blah, blah, and that
model railroading as a hobby is dying, I just see a new, potentially lucrative
market.  I would spin off the trains theme from LEGO in the same way that Scala
is to System-- still compatible but very different. Still use the minifig, but
create 100s of new, specialized train parts.  Parts such as new couplers (I'd
license with Kadee®), lots of windows, various truck styles; new track; offer
DCC; motorized points, crossings, fiber optic lighting systems, and much more.
Basically, I would try and not reinvent the wheel, but utilize current
manufacturers as much as I could.  This would also help get name recognition
among model railroaders get my foot in the door of the model railroading market.

I know that it would take a heavy investment, but it would be for the long haul.
You can't tell me it was cheap to create new themes such as Throwbots, ZNAP,
Scala, Life on Mars-- and all of that stuff won't even be around in 5 years.  My
trains theme will just be hitting stride in 5 years and all of my heavy
investments will have been paid off.  Actually, I would probably break even
pretty fast because all current LEGO train owners would upgrade.  I might even be
a little dastardly and change the gauge of my track to match O scale (Ensuring
upgrades;) and thus making LEGO trains instantly compatible with O scale layouts
around the world.

Initially, I'd actively foster and sponsor LEGO train clubs who displayed at
train shows.  I'd produce 5 new locos year, and 5 new cars a year, and I'd sell
to hobby shops who sold model trains.  I'd publish a monthly magazine like Model
Railroader to give train fans a place to advertise and check out what's new
(Maybe it would be online; I haven't thought enough about that yet).  And I'd
sponsor an international LEGO train convention every year.

You cannot convince me that this idea wouldn't work.  Trains are loved and
recognized around the world; LEGO is a world company-- a trains theme truly would
have international appeal.  Heck, I think it would work even if it were only
marketed in the US!

So how about it, Brad?  I'll just wait for the phone call so you and I can
discuss my master plan in detail;-)

-John

What would you do if LEGO were YOUR toy company?  What would it BE LIKE to
be a customer?  What would you do DIFFERENTLY from what they do now?

--Todd