 General / 23701
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:34:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Star Wars is awesome this year - especially that Imperial Shuttle and the
TIE with Stormtrooper.  I'm not too excited about much else though - Life on
Mars is way too juniorized and cartoonish (I see another Arctic failure) -
Bionicle is a Throwbots/RoboRiders rehash, and look at those Technic C3PO
and Stormtrooper.  The more I look at 2001 the sicker I get.  But it doesn't
make me as sick as hearing the complaints and seeing the competition, and
then seeing how TLC has replied with worse and worse products.  The
relationship between the fans and TLC looks bright, but I sure wish they
would listen to us more and be able to change stuff coming out of Billund.

A world without TLC frightens me.  And it frightens me that the company may be
in trouble.  Not grave trouble.  Not yet.  But maybe in a few years.  IMO, the
new catalog indicates a slight shift in the right direction, but not by much.
Megabloks is coming on strong, and Lego needs to respond with a call to arms.  I
find myself looking at the Megablok sets and wishing that they were Lego.  I'll
remain loyal to the sets, but to paraphrase an earlier poster, kids just being
introduced to the brick have no reason to.