 General / 23793
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:49:41 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message

  I certainly don't want MegaBloks to take over the whole market, but I • just
as certainly don't mind their presence in it, if only as a warning against
complacency.  In addition, my brand loyalty (or anyone else's) shouldn't • be
taken for granted, as TLC has apparently done for several years.  By what
arrogance could TLC ask customers to remain loyal despite endlessly
disappointing product lines (not that they have asked, per se, but
hypothetically...)  It's unfortunate that consumers might adopt a "what • have
you done for me lately?" stance, but it's not unexpected.

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.  I'm certainly loyal to the
brand - but if it comes to the point I'll only be loyal to the brand on the
secondhand market.  There are much better deals to be had on much better
[LEGO] products floating around online than are in the stores now - besides
the 50% off SW and the BEAUTIFUL Imperial Shuttle.

Yes, TLC has put
out countless fantastic products in the past, but the current lines just
aren't that great overall.  And, considering that the downward trend has
been in development for several years, arguably worsening as we go, • there's
no solid basis for continuing to purchase LEGO sets in the hope that • someday
things will get better.

Yeah that's for sure, I s'pose.  I don't purchase that much LEGO anyways -
but that's cause right now I'm a college student with little to no income.
When I start making enough to pay my bills and my hobby, I'll definitely buy
more Lego bricks.  Its up to TLC to determine *where* I'll buy them - from
the company or from secondhand sources.

  By the bye--I understand your Lionel/American Flyer analogy in • principle,
but I'm not a train hobbyist so I'm unclear on the particulars.  If one
company put out a demonstrably better product, how could anyone be • expected
to stick with the other brand?  And to what end?  The end result seems to • be
a pyrrhic victory in which the consumer gets the shaft.

Yup.  I guess I'm so loyal to the LEGO brand that I could get the shaft -
but if so, I'll just buy old product secondhand and continue to gripe.  I
don't forsee that happening though - I think that TLC has a good chance of
pulling through in a reasonable time.  I at least hope they do.

  Elsewhere in the thread people have discussed the necessary lag in
response time, in terms of development costs, projections, • implementations,
et al.  Understandable, certainly, but not encouraging, either; if it • takes
X number of months to implement a rudamentary online ordering system of
already-existing parts, how much longer will it take to reverse the firmly
entrenched, theme-spanning juniorization campaign?

Once they realize its effects, it shouldn't take longer than a year (in
product line terms) to do that.  They for sure still have proofs and molds
from the older, non-juniorized parts.  And unless they fired all the good
designers - they just need to reprogram them into making good stuff again.

TLC has some things to learn from this and I think that parts of the • company
are learning.  But those parts of the company need to teach the other • parts
to respond quicker if they are going to survive.  As an informed AFOL, I
want to be giving TLC appropriate feedback so they can make decisions • which
will help them.  I'm sure there are others who desire to do the same, and
there are some people here with some very good ideas on things that TLC
should be doing on a long term basis.

  That's definitely a good goal, and one that we might actually be able to
hope for, given the somewhat more approachable corporate presence TLC has
demonstrated recently.  Before Brad's debut, the only sort of feedback we
were able to give came in the form of reduced revenues for TLC and idle
ranting to an apparently deaf audience.

Yep, that's what I'm saying.  I know they're responsive and want to dialog -
I've dialoged with a few TLC employees about these very issues.  These
people have come from various departments including Lego Direct.  They as
people, at least, hear our concerns and have talked about them - I hope that
stuff like this is making itself further in to the company though.

I hope they learn, and I hope they're able to hold their head above the • evil
MegaBloks.

  Yikes!  Whatever your opinion of MegaBloks themselves, Ritvik as a • company
has some good points, at least in terms of market awareness and
responsiveness.  Perhaps in years to come TLC will learn from them and
harvest the good from amid the evil.

Ritvik the company is doing good, I can't deny that.  But I despise their
product because of its nature - and that's my cold hard opinion being a
die-hard LEGO (brand) collector and user - ever since I was a wee lad.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne