 General / 23708
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:49:23 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

I believe that five to ten years from now, pre-packaged sets designed by
internal design teams will account for but a small percentage of the market
leader's profits -- the rest coming from bulk element sales with phenominally
low overhead compared to pre-packaged retail sets.

Only if they lower their prices to the point where people feel they are getting a
good deal.  There are very few bulk packs I feel are a truly good deal (train
windows/doors ARE a good deal).  The plain brick prices, frankly, SUCK.

And if TLC truly intends to make bulk WORK, they need to offer true bulk packs, at
several levels.  Packs of 100/500/1000 are not unreasonable for plain bricks, and
10/50/100 for specialty pieces, if they also price them cheaper per piece on the
larger packs.

AND for those without Web access, they need to bring back buckets/tubs with a
vengeance, and market them as Bulk Packs, with a good variation - Drab Bulk
Bricks, Exotic Bulk Bricks (pastels, purple, orange, etc), Windows/doors (with
MAYBE 10% doors, if that).