 General / 24005
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:42:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes:
(snip)
Despite the vast sums of money AFOLs seem to spend, I suspect that the
majority of Lego sales are gifts, and that most of those gifts are purchased
through traditional shops. Therefore, factors like "shelf appeal" are very
important. This is why I suspect that bulk sales will always be a small part
of Lego's sales. I can't see Mum, Dad and Grandma buying a bulk pack of a
single kind of piece as a gift (unless under specific instructions from the
recipient)! A bulk pack of assorted pieces, yes, but of the same piece, no.

My first bulk purchase was in 1986 or so, and was from the UK.  Sampsonite here
had a crummy selection!.  I got, IIRC, 25 quid worth of lego, including the
(brand new) double acting pnumatics, and 4.5V train stuff.

Mind you, I've never been accused of being a typical kid.
(I was 10 at the time)

James