 General / 943
  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

[Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote about hosting RTL on lugnet.com/news/.] Apparently, I picked the wrong time to have a major national holiday separate me from my lugnet-devoted newsreader. :/ I'll make my points brief. They (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses some of my (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the Newsgroups header. But that doesn't make sense, especially after your further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned from cross-posted messages. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) excellent key point! (...) Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying. In other words, if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should map/truncate Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toy...lugnet.foo to simply (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and lugnet groups. This is because: A) NNTP guidelines indicate that the Newsgroup header should always be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3663128b.28905770@l...et.com>... (...) This is true, you would need to take control.cancel and rec.toys.lego if you wanted every single cancel. You probably wouldn't want to do that, since the last statistics that I saw (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) True, canceling wouldn't work unless you get control.cancel. Spam aside for a second, I don't think ignoring cancels is very bad. People should assume that once they hit "post", it's public, like it or not. But then, there's the issue of spam (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) By "unwashed" I take it you mean those who haven't completed the news-posting setup? Or do you mean Larry's version of "unwashed"? (...) But doesn't that validate and/or encourage the practice of posting HTML, binaries, spam, etc.? (...) Yes, (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) One thing to consider is that if a message is cross-posted to a moderated group, it shouldn't show up in any other groups until it's been accepted in that group. LUGnet is a (lightly-and-automatically) moderated forum. It's completely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think I like it either... Not because I'm morally against modifying NNTP headers on a private server (I would be in Usenet context) but because of the confusion which would ensue (more below). (...) Yeah, splitting is definitely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) <some good technical stuff that I don't have the bandwidth to grok...> but nonetheless I disagree. If rtl is served from here, cross posting should be allowed for messages first posted here. Regardless of whether the poster is posting an (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: [snip] (...) Anyone who *should* be cross-posting, should be able to grok this. In the sense that it takes some sense (and diplomacy) to cross-post effectively. Steve (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I believe I mean more like Larry's unwashed. I was referring to the set of messages which exist on RTL, and we are trying to prevent from spilling out onto lugnet.* (...) I meant to suggest the *.binaries, *.html and etc. groups be read-only (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't see any problem with filtering on _technical_ grounds, like getting rid of binaries or html. It's when you're filtering on content that issues arise. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:50:25 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: : rec.toys.lego.spam <-- followups set to rec.toys.lego Follow-ups sent /dev/null? Jasper (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:54:15 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: :I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ :solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and :lugnet groups. : :This is (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But when a lugnet'er posts a follow-up to one of those messages, the follow-up will go to those lugnet.* groups. Technically, I don't think it's a problem, but it will fragment threads. And if the original message had other Usenet groups, the (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:05:54 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: :If lugnet.com is changed to ignore invalid/unrecognized entries in the :Newsgroups header, then someone could use lugnet to post to any Usenet :ng, as long as the (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I just installed a second copy of Free Agent for lugnet. It doesn't take up that much hard drive space, and it's a lot easier to manage. Steve (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I wouldn't want there to be 'lugnet.com' in the 'Path' of outgoing articles to groups that people here don't monitor regularly. In other words, the risk of someone accidentally or intentionally peeving off other ng's by one or two mischevious (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:49:15 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: :I wouldn't want there to be 'lugnet.com' in the 'Path' of outgoing articles :to groups that people here don't monitor regularly. In other words, the :risk of someone (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Agent has instructions for installing multiple instances... look under "How to Configure Agent for Multiple Users and Servers". I use three copies of Agent: one for Usenet, one for Lugnet, and one for Furnet. You have to move some files around (...) (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) There is a _much_ easier way. :-) Make two subdirectories in your agent directory. One for Lugnet and one for your standard news. Then make two shortcuts to start Agent. In each one, edit the shortcut properties to change the "Start In" (...) (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) What version are you using? I'm using Free Agent 1.0, and I can't find these instructions... :( Jasper (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I thought only Agent could handle multiple servers with the different ini files and dirs, not Free Agent? Probably wrong, though. (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) That might be it... I now have it set up something like this .I just installed it to two different directories - that seems to work. Since I had a agent/data directory of 90 megs or so, I figured 500k extra worth of agent.exe isn't too big a (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm using Free Agent 1.11/32. The instructions for doing it _are_ in the docs, though it is pretty vague and hard to find. The instruction in my version are under Help | How To section. Then at the bottom is the "FAQ's" selection. In that you (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Im running FreeAgent 1.11/32 and I have 3 news servers configured. Just make new directories under the agent directory and create a shortcut for each server you want to reach. In the properties of these shortcuts, you leave the program (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well there you go. Figured I was wrong. I remember this from when I used Free Agent. Now I just use Linux to read news. (1) 1. Well, technically I use slrn on my Linux box, but since all I have time to do with Linux nowadays while I'm working (...) (26 years ago, 5-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)