 General / 46405
Re: KKK described latest restructuring as "last chance" for Lego in FT article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:

I've wondered about that, as well.  Honestly, why should TLG have any authority
to dictate where Wal*Mart and TRU choose to place their product?  I mean, sure,
TLG could elect not to distribute via those two retailers, but who would be hurt
more by such a move?  Wal*Mart might be slightly inconvenienced, TRU might
suffer a little, but TLG would likely be dealt a nearly fatal blow, considering
its current, troubled status.  And I'd guess that MEGABLOKS would benefit
mightily all the while.

I've never, ever understood how TLC's patented product could be so readily
replicated to such exacting degrees by other companies (always trumpeting their
"compatability with LEGO!").  Because that's the real issue.  Instead of going
after WM, TRU, KMart, etc., whining about keeping MEGABLOKS away from the LEGO
products, why aren't they going after the source of their problems, once and for
all?

I mean, cripes...it's obvious to anyone that these clone companies are just
reaping the benefits of the hard work of other people.  I'm not well read about
this at all...has TLC ever tried suing these companies, forcing them to shut
down?  How could anyone look at this situation and see it as anything but
completely unfair?  Why would the system allow TLC to be bankrupted by those
companies that have VERY conspicuously ripped off the product, down to
millionths of a millimeter??

Fuming mad,

--Dave