 General / 46408
Re: KKK described latest restructuring as "last chance" for Lego in FT article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:45:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
The primary brick of contention is the 2x4, the patent for which expired in
1978.

I thought TLC was most recently suing them for trademark violation, as the 2x4
brick is often used as a logo for TLC.  Also, what about the tubes on the
underside?  Copyright on Mickey Mouse should be expired (or nearly so) by now,
but as long as his mug is used as a trademarked Disney logo, he's untouchable.

Actually, I thought the same thing for a long time, but here's the relevant bit
from the article:
"In dismissing Lego's appeal, the [Canadian] Federal Court of Appeal
reaffirmed the longstanding doctrine that the protection of functional devices
such as the knob design is the proper domain of patent law and not trademark
law.  Lego's patent on its standard block expired in 1978."

So although TLG may be able to trademark its LEGO logo as it appears on studs,
TLG has surrendered to patent on the studs-and-tubes design.

Unofficially, I note that MEGABLOKS (and others) have been releasing other basic
elements, such as the 1x2 brick, the 2x4 plate, etc. for years, so I imagine
that those patents have expired, too.

Dave!