 General / 46456
Re: KKK described latest restructuring as "last chance" for Lego in FT article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:13:11 GMT

   Actualy in my opinion it would be the best thing that could happen for an AFOL is for LEGO to be bought out by another toy company or if LEGO went public.

Be careful what you wish for. 90+ percent of all the toy brands in the US are owned by two companies that are essentially in the junk business relentlessly trying to make lower cost product with maximum point of sale appeal. Quality and play value have little impact in product planning, except to the extent that they don’t add to cost.

What billion dollar enterprise would make a worthy owner of a world class treasure like LEGO?

And as for going public, we would all like to own LEGO stock, but 95% would be owned by institutions and folks who will only ask: How are you going to cut costs and raise shareholder value this quarter?

(Personally, I think the obvious answer for the future of TLC is for the employees to own it. For as long as I have been watching TLC (14 years), they have ping-ponged between expanding and retrenching, diversifying and getting back to basics, and big profits and big losses.)

-Ted