 General / 46383
Re: KKK described latest restructuring as "last chance" for Lego in FT article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:19:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
Now, before anyone howls that I'm just pouring salt on TLG's wounds, let's
reflect:  TLG is suffering massive losses while is casts about for the solutions
for its waning market share.  So what is MEGABLOKS doing right that TLG is doing
wrong?  Everyone "knows" that MB quality is vastly substandard, yet the company
gets stronger every year.  Will a return to TLG's core values help resuscitate
the brand?  Is it too late for such a return?  What if a competitor has already
taken the torch in the meantime?

TLG needs a better Lego police force. Here in upstate New York, my local North
Utica Walmart has both Lego and megabloks sets on the shelves. The thing is,
unlike a year ago, when there was a clear distinction between an aisle of Lego
sets and another of megabloks, now they are on the same set of shelves. They are
totally mixed up while the aisle remains decorated with the Lego logo. I have
asked browsing parents what they are buying. They honestly reply that they are
buying Lego, even as they hold a megabloks set. I think it is obvious what is
wrong here. Lego "are" loosing their brand recognition. Something I know they
have always been worried about. And they've persued the issue wrongly in my
opinion going after Lego fans who use the Lego word on their websites while
allowing Walmart to sell megabloks under their banner!!!!

Why are there no Lego company reps prowling the aisles pulling the department
managers up short for clear logo misuse????

JB