 General / 46403
Re: KKK described latest restructuring as "last chance" for Lego in FT article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:55:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

Maybe if LEGO enforced definitive shelf delineations with retailers, that would
help.

I've wondered about that, as well.  Honestly, why should TLG have any authority
to dictate where Wal*Mart and TRU choose to place their product?  I mean, sure,
TLG could elect not to distribute via those two retailers, but who would be hurt
more by such a move?  Wal*Mart might be slightly inconvenienced, TRU might
suffer a little, but TLG would likely be dealt a nearly fatal blow, considering
its current, troubled status.  And I'd guess that MEGABLOKS would benefit
mightily all the while.

I can see why it might be good practice not to intersperse the various brands
within a single shelf-space, but if Wal*Mart puts MEGABLOKS on one shelf and
LEGO on the shelf beneath it, boo-hoo for TLG.

Grocery stores don't sell brand-name pasta sauce in one section and generic
sauce in another; both are on the same shelf, usually right next to each other.
Why should TLG get special dictatorial powers re: product placement?

Dave!