 General / 293
Re: New vs. old (was Re: More 1999 Figs... ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 02:28:04 GMT

Matthew Miller writes:
Tim Courtney <tcourtney@nospam.avenew.com> wrote:
I couldn't disagree more.  Lego should go back to simplified minifigs, they
look much better.  I think it is a mistake for them to go away from the
classics they built their toy empire on.

I do like the classic minifigs, but I do like a lot of the new ones too.

I'd love to see a re-issue of classic sets, but on the whole I'm pleased
with the current line. Sure, town is looking terrible, and the last few
years of space and castle have been weak too, but Insectoids and
(especially) Ninjas show a lot of promise. And of course, Mindstorms is
wonderful.

I don't see much in Insectoids.  The main reason is that they have so many
specialized pieces.  If they built the same shapes with the pieces they had
five years ago, I would be all for them.  Lego can't really go anywhere with
Ninja, what other subthemes can they introduce?  I would like to see (though I
am a Christian) big Chinese templish things with the pointy roofs built out of
individual bricks, enclosed except for the back, like classic sets.  If they
built an oriental community with various buildings and the Dojo (isn't that
what they call the Ninja training places?), that would be really cool.  Insert
Chris Farley flying out of control through the plane of enlightenment. :)

-tim <><
http://trc.osiriscomm.com