 General / 313
Re: New vs. old (was Re: More 1999 Figs... ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 01:40:30 GMT

Matthew Miller writes:
Tim Courtney <tcourtney@nospam.avenew.com> wrote:
I dunno. They've got the legos, which would be more useful if they were
movable, but still can be applied elsewhere. And the wings are pretty
special-purpose, but they look cool anyway. :) What other specialized pieces
are you referring to?
Those in general, plus other Insectoids-secific parts.  I don't know for sure

What other insectoids-specific parts? I think I've given you a comprehensive
list. There's also the trans-yellow/green "eye" domes, but those seemed
more generally useful than just insectoid, so I didn't count them. But even
with those: three insectoid-specific parts hardly sounds evil. You sure
you're not just prejudiced against them?

[As I go to Pause to look at large Insectoid photos ;)]
Another thing that comes to mind is that weird sound piece on the nose of that
ship.  It looks to clonish.  I'm just trying to say that the sets of even as
recent as three years ago focused on building the brick as a means to make it
look cool, rather than focusing on making it look "cool" and building on the
side.  They have gone from looking like a genuine construction toy to looking
like another action figure set with their ships.  The designs are not what
you'd expect out of Lego.  All those little mechanical things that used to
captivate people--Blacktron base, Deep Freeze shuttlecraft, Galactic Mediator,
and most of all classic space.  You just don't see that anymore.  The most you
get is flapping screen printed wings.  Another thing I don't like is complex
screened uniforms and the newer minifig faces.  Simpler minifig faces are ok,
like basic sunglasses or lipstick and bangs, but that's about it.  When it
gets so far as eyeballs (Timmy) or robot faces, that's what I don't like.
Although the UFO faces are kinda cool, the Insectoids are quite dumb IMO.

most popular sets....  I would like to see re-issues of the Galaxy
Explorer, the Futuron monorail, the BT1 Base, that light and sound big fat
classic starship, and the two tiniest M:Trons because I need those to be
M:tron complete :)

Ok, now, those are cool sets. But, take a look more closely -- they've got
specialized pieces all over. And sure, the minifigs have classic smilies --
but they don't have the even-more-classic non-movable arms & legs w/ blank
faces.

But the focus isn't on the pieces, its on the design and using the pieces
creatively.  With the newer stuff, its "see how many screens we can put on
pieces (limiting reusability) and see how many large pieces we can shove in to
limit alternative models."  At least that's how I see it.  I love the
ingenious creativity using mostly the essential basic pieces of Lego up until
five years ago.

-tim
http://trc.osiriscomm.com