 General / 311
Re: New vs. old (was Re: More 1999 Figs... ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:46:02 GMT

Thomas Main writes:
Matthew Miller wrote:

Ok, now, those are cool sets. But, take a look more closely -- they've got
specialized pieces all over. And sure, the minifigs have classic smilies --
but they don't have the even-more-classic non-movable arms & legs w/ blank
faces.

BTW, how many people integrate both the older and newer minifigs in
their layouts?  I've decided to have both in my town.  It's kinda like
having two different races.

I'm often undecided about whether or not I like new pieces. The biggest factor
that pursuades me is how useful I think it is across themes. Even purists argue
amongst themselves saying that they won't use a piece until they think it
useful, usually solving some kind of connection they can't make any other way.
Is it a lowering of standards then? IMO, after much consideration, no. The only
thing that could lower TLG's standards regarding pieces is whether they don't
fit/color match/stay together, or are outrageously priced. The rest is subject
to my imagination and yours.

More often, I prefer to use more of my imagination rather than accept new
pieces. Yet when 2x2 plate turntables came out, I thought they were the
greatest thing since sliced bread. It's all so subjective. I guess I really
appreciate the use of imagination more than anything. If someone uses a piece
in a way in which I never have, I find it interesting at least.