 General / 329
Re: New vs. old (was Re: More 1999 Figs... ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:41:54 GMT

Tim Courtney writes:
<snippage>
But the focus isn't on the pieces, its on the design and using the pieces
creatively.  With the newer stuff, its "see how many screens we can put on
pieces (limiting reusability)

Hear, hear! Especially transparent pieces! I thought canopies were for seeing
through. Paint stuff I *can't* see through. Insectoids would be much better
then.

and see how many large pieces we can shove in to
limit alternative models."  At least that's how I see it.  I love the
ingenious creativity using mostly the essential basic pieces of Lego up until
five years ago.

I think we agree here. I don't mind large pieces as long as they don't get too
specialized. Based on similar-sized sets, Galaxy Explorer has lots of large
plates, which is one of the reasons why I like it. I find myself not caring for
the "shuttle-plate" very much, and Emergency Response Center comes with 3. I
also don't care for the train-platform pieces very much - I would rather build
my own platform from pieces (and I did). But I guess 8-10 year olds say they
want them.