 General / 19060
Re: The problem I have with upcoming product hoaxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:44:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
I've decided I might as well throw in my .02:
I have loved every hoax that has shown up on LUGNET so far.  I don't
think I'm alone in admiring how close people can get to actual product
designs or catalog layouts, etc.  I've even taken a shot at it myself:
http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/LEGO/wallpaper/

Nice! But don't expect anyone to be fooled if you keep that disclaimer on.
<grin>

Given enough time and resources, I'd really enjoy putting together an
entire fake product, including box and instruction booklet.  I think I
could do a pretty good job at fooling people if the model design was
plausible...so watch out :)

Hehe... I'll keep that in mind when you put up pics of the new 2001 sets ;-)

I agree with what has been said here, that the hoaxes are all in fun, and even
give us something to talk about. Still, there were a few people who thought
(at first) that the AT-AT was real, and while some were condemning it, others
wanted it for the BURPs (hey, I wouldn't mind a BURP-set like that myself). So
it's not like no-one fell for it...

-Shiri