 General / 18987
Re: The problem I have with upcoming product hoaxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:06:58 GMT

Jeff,

I'm sure everyone is busy with the good news about bulk ordering, but
there is another issue I've just got to get off my chest.

There was another upcoming product hoax recently following in the
footsteps of the famous train hoax of 2000. I don't think its a good
idea to post false information to LUGNET about fake products that
aren't really coming out. From past threads I've read the discussion
of information and or pictures gained from stealing a glance at next
year's dealers catalog is frowned upon. It would seem that the only
information we can talk freely about and depend upon is that gained
from the in box LEGO catalogs.

Ever since I discovered RTL in early 96' I've looked foward to the
time of year when someone might find an in box catalog from the next
year to give us all a sneak peek at what is coming up. I was overjoyed
to read the descriptions of the sets as I tried to imagine what they
might look like. It seemed that these catalogs were found by lurkers
or infrequent posters, many of which did not have access to a scanner
or digital camera. If memory serves me correctly a few years ago
someone snail mailed a catalog to Todd so he could put it up, only to
find that someone else beat him to it by a day or two. There was
however, alot of discussion over just the descriptions of the sets and
what they might be about and whose scans turned out better once they
were put up. Also when the Ninjas came out, someone (Lou Zucaro <sp?>)
posted about that being a possible hoax as he didn't think LEGO would
actually release Ninjas, of course we all now know they did.

If I were to find an a 2001 in box catalog and discuss the details of
it here, would I be believed? I'm not a frequent poster, but I've been
in the community quite some time now. I don't have a scanner either,
just video snappy. My work schedule keeps me very busy. I hardly have
enough time to update my own site, let alone take a bunch of pics of
the new catalog for all to see. What if a LUGNET lurker or newer
member, posting for the first time lets say, tells how they found the
new 2001 catalog? Say he/she has no way to post the pics on a web
site, will everyone jump all over him/her calling them a hoaxer? It
could turn someone away from LUGNET and the LEGO community in general
who might otherwise become a valued member of the group.

I have serious doubts about ever trusting any information about
upcoming LEGO products, unless the source is TLC itself, and I have
the catalog in my hands or I've read about multiple people finding and
posting pictures of them. Its really a shame, those initial
discussions about the new sets, especially when all that was available
was a written description, was always one of my favorite things too.

I'm sure that I'll look at those posts with suspicion in the future,
and thats not the way I feel it should be. No more hoaxes, please.

Jeff Christner

I have to agree with Jeff. I thought the last AT-AT was pretty bad, and the
fact it said 2001 catalog. The train one was a very good hoax, but it still
grates on me in terms of what we would like from our favorite company. Maybe
there should be a disclaimer on hoaxes of some kind for LUGNET, perhaps?
Your thoughts, Todd?

Scott S.
--
Want New LEGO Elements at Great Prices?